Friday, February 6, 2015

Candy Appel - Rip Cord's Girlfriend

I really hate defining a character, especially a female character, by who they were in a relationship with, but in Candy's case, it's hard to know how else to describe her. Sure, she was "Bongo the Balloon Bear", but that's not the miniature I made. She was also daughter of a Crimson Guardsman, but that's still defining her by someone else's role.

"Civilian" is too vague. "Innocent Victim" might be appropriate, but still demeaning.

Candy is probably best remembered as Rip Cord's girlfriend, being kidnapped by Buzzer, and dying in a the same car wreck that crippled Cobra Commander's son Billy and was then blown up by Scrap Iron (after he had just blown up Storm Shadow's uncle, Soft Master.

So, she's kind of a tragic character.

I never got the joke of Candy's name when I was a kid. I don't think they ever said her full name, and when I read her father's name, Professor Appel, I didn't read it as "apple", so I never put two and two together. Larry Hama loved those kinds of names.

For Candy, I started with the Heroclix Con Artist and used green stuff to add her hair, headband, and turn the jacket into a blouse.

Speaking of which, Candy might have the most hideous blouse I've ever seen and\or painted.

-c



2 comments:

  1. When we first met Bongo the Balloon Bear in the comics, I didn't actually realise it was a person in a fancy dress suit - I just assumed the Joes had teamed up with a talking bear.

    (that might sound odd - but I was very young at the time, and this was a story that included Zartan, Serpentor and the Crimson Twins)

    Nice conversion, anyway,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! That's a good point. It wouldn't be the strangest thing that ever happened to the Joes.

      Thanks!

      -c

      Delete